Wednesday, December 31, 2014

#Simple examples - Words

There's a board game I recently played, called The Resistance. Sounds quite heroic and revolutionary. Bad people are trying to bring down good ones. The rules let you defend yourself and hear what others say, and you may even debate to win to have good people win. However, the rules do not require you to speak out the truth. Let's say you are a civil citizen, you want your city to stay peaceful and here comes the spy and works against you. He covers himself by saying he is a good one and won't destroy the city. You, you work hard in your brain trying to find whether that's truth or not. However, even real civilians are being mistaken because of mistaken words they say in their defense.

 Like happened tonight.
A peaceful inhabitant, while being questioned by the city, spilled out "...we want to win," when shortly before he had been talking about the spies. His words immediately were interpreted as if he was speaking about the "we" being "spies". He lost the trust of the city. The spies won.
It's a simple example I say, but I analyze it and find it far more complicated because this is not a rare case to think of, but instead shows a bigger picture.
How important, heavy, and expensive our words can be. I treat them lightly. But I think of my God, "Who spoke the universe into the life", and here I find myself pondering on the cost I pay each time I am not careful with what I say. Hurt, misunderstanding, distrust, debt, disappointment, anger, falseness, envy... Those are what we produce with being not careful with our words.
Of course, during the day, on casual days, not that you're present at the very official events all the time, then of course we can say "oh yeah, definitely, you should be careful up there." But, wars can start behind the kitchen doors, at the market place, in dance halls...
There's no greater weight that we can put on somebody than by our words. 
So, are you giving someone a weight they can't pick up or a weight that keeps them healthy?

No comments: